Pages

Labels

Friday, July 6, 2012

Ginger Surprise

From the last time I made ginger cupcakes, I had some a few sweet ginger concoctions left over that I wanted to make use of. First, always reserve your ginger syrup from the candying process and make a well deserved cocktail for yourself. That's what I did with my ginger syrup and now I want to go get some more ginger just to make the syrup for the cocktails. It's also a great idea to share drinks with friends, so good thing a friend visited today. Thanks for giving us a reason to drink today!

I also had some candied ginger left, so I made some ginger walnut cookies. A special lady I know loves ginger, so I made some the other day and shared it with her. I do believe she likes them, she did finish one while I was visiting, then again, she always does and I later find out she hates something I've made, so who knows.


So very refreshing and not strong at all. The combination of different citrus fruits is just right.
All the ingredients (minus the orange): lime, lemon, ginger syrup,
lime and lemon juice, mint syrup, vodka, and mint.
Left: muddled mint and lime wedges                   Right: everything mixed together, ready to drink

Ginger Mint Cocktail

40 mint leaves
1/2 cup orange juice
1 large lemon, juiced
1 lime, juiced
1 lime, cut into wedges
4 tablespoons ginger syrup
4 tablespoons mint syrup**
1/4 cup vodka

1. Place mint and lime wedges into a pitcher and muddle with a wooden spoon.
2. Add juices, syrup, and vodka. Mix until incorporated.
3. Strain into glasses filled with ice.

**Mint Syrup: equal parts sugar and water (1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup sugar) and a few mint leaves (I used 10 for 1/2 cup of water and sugar)
Ginger Walnut Cookies

1 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/6 cup candied ginger
1/2 tablespoon grated ginger
1/8 cup chopped walnuts or almonds

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix flour and salt, set aside.
3. Cream sugar and butter.
4. Add grated ginger, candied ginger, and walnuts to butter. Mix until incorporated
5. Add flour, mix until incorporated.
6. Shape into balls and place evenly on baking tray.
7. Gently press down on each cookie so make a 1/3 inch disc.
8. Bake cookies for about 20 minutes, the tops of the cookies should be slightly golden.

Price breakdown
Ginger*: $1.00 (bought them for super cheap at the Asian market, 79 cents per pound)

Ginger Mint Mojito
Mint: free
Syrup: free
Limes: $1.00 (10 for $1.00)
Lemon: $0.96 (6 for 96 cents)
Orange juice: $1.49

Ginger Short Bread Cookies
Almonds: free (I bought a bag at CVS for $4.99 and used my $5.00 extrabucks, so it was free!)
Everything else I already had in the refrigerator or pantry.

Total: $3.45

*I candied all the ginger and made about 1.5 cups of candied ginger and 2 cups of syrup. I'm excited for the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment